Charles William Clay is a well name in business circles throughout Pulaski County, for it stands as a representative of a man who is noted for his enterprise. Mr. Clay was born in Granville County, North Carolina in 1831, and is a son of Pleasant and Mary (Malory) Clay, born in North Carolina at 1796 and 1803, respectively. The parents were from VIrginia and North Carolina, where they were married. The father became a prosperous and highly respected farmer, dying there in 1876, and his wife following him in 1887. Pleasant Clay was a son of Peter Archie Clay, of Mecklenberg, Virginia, a revolutionary soldier, of Scotish-Irish Parentage, who died in North Carolina, as did also Charles Malory, the father if Pleasant Clay's wife. Charles Willam, the oldest chid of four sons and two daughters, received very little education in his youth, but upon reaching maturity he obtained knowledge by his own efforts. He commenced at fourteen years of age, and contninued in that capacity until twenty-two years old, when he started business on his own account. In 1856 he was married to Ms. Fannie, fourth daughter of Col. James and Edna (Rowland) Stirk, of Pennsylvania and North Carolina, respectively, and settled down with his bride in Granville County, North Carolina, whence they move to Arkansas in 1869. Six children were born to this union: Sophia (Widow of John Skinner Fletcher. deceased, now wife of Dr. Richard Chennault of Arkansas), and wife of Dr. F. P. Keller, of Texas, Thomas L. (who married Miss Thompson, of Alabama) and James Stirk Clay (The youngest of the four living children). In 1869 Mr. Clay came to Pulaski County and commenced farming at a point on the river, where he resided for seven years. He then moved to his present home, about eighteen miles west of Little Rock, where he owns a splendid track of land, and has placec some 100 acres under good cultivation. In addition to his farm, he is interested in ginning and milling. He is a man of great integrity and fine business qualities, and a representative citizen of Pulaski County. He served as justice of the peace for several years, and at the present time is holding the office of deputy assessor. Previous to that time he was deputy sheriff, and has filled every office with distinction. Mr. Clay has been a member of the A. F. & A. M. since his twenty-first year, and at the present time belongs to Mary Williams lodge No. 307, of which he has been treasurer for a number of years. He is also a member of the Agriculture Wheel, and, with his domestic wife a member, attended the Missionary Baptist Church.